1997-01-01 - “Cypher punks” display arrogance and stupidity in the new year

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 4f252bfde5228c2e3b59c406e067df22798634e2ca32a0b9e11d0d0acd82f457
Message ID: <Pg3uZD66w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <Pine.BSF.3.95.970101045821.18285D-100000@atlas.comet.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-01 17:40:23 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 09:40:23 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Wed, 1 Jan 1997 09:40:23 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: "Cypher punks" display arrogance and stupidity in the new year

jamie@comet.net (jamie dyer) writes:

>  Perhaps an X-header that changes weekly, monthly, whatever.
> Is there a way to configure the list software to reject a message
> that doesn't have the X-header? This won't stop all spam, but it'd
> put a damper on a bunch of it. A lot of spammers don't even know
> what an X-header is (though a lot do), much less how to put one
> in a message.

Dr. Grubor has suggested that homosexuals be required to identify themselves
in their e-mail headers.  Certainly, cocksucker John Gilmore is free to set
up his private mailing list so that only submissions with "X-Homosexual: YES"
or "X-Sexual-Preferences: GAY" get distributed. Problem is, if we get the
repeat of the recent mail loop attack, when the ASALA/Earthweb terrorist Ray
"Arsenic" Arachelian was re-submiting to the mailing list the articles
that were already distributed with most of the headers intact, the "X-Gay: YES"
header would also be intact on Arachelian's spam. Ray is truly despicable.
You can complain about Ray's forgery, spam, libel, and other net-abuse to
his bosses at Earthweb, LLC: Jack Hidary <jack@earthweb.com>, Murray Hidary
<murray@earthweb.com>, and Nova Spivack <nova@earthweb.com>.

I'm also amused by Jamie's suggestion that most people don't know what
an X-header is. It reminds me how I made a typo in the word 'group' and
some asshole "cypher punk" went into a long rant about how he knows how
to use the grep utility under Unix, and I allegedly don't even know what
grep is. First, the punks should consider themselves lucky that the owners
of the equipment they play with pay them salaries for messing around with
software so user-unfriendly that some arrogant punk needs to be paid to
administer it (and the punk is sometimes a convicted felon, like Randall
Schwartz). Second, I happen to know what grep is (I teach Unix courses
occasionally), and I don't consider this a sign of great intelligence.

By the way, 'grep' stands for 'g[globa]/r[egular ]e[xpression]/p[rint].

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM