1997-01-13 - Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

Header Data

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
To: gbroiles@netbox.com (Greg Broiles)
Message Hash: 51257a8e55e92c519ee62b5d99169f9585bcd1126f28d14c5d37128308931bd6
Message ID: <v03007807aeff873e6d22@[199.35.223.198]>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970111003625.0069d61c@mail.io.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-13 06:41:46 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:41:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Frantz <frantz@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 1997 22:41:46 -0800 (PST)
To: gbroiles@netbox.com (Greg Broiles)
Subject: Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

At 9:10 AM -0800 1/11/97, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
>We should all understand that forgeries in the names of preapproved
>people are only a SYMPTOM of a problem, not a problem in and of itself.
>The true problem in such case would be that the forgers feel that they
>are treated unfairly by moderators. Such people may think that the
>purpose of moderation is to get rid of their persons altogether.
>
>Therefore, if moderators face a problem of forgeries and perceive a need
>to turn this authentication option on, they should step back and this
>what THEY did wrong. Did they give the forgers an impression that
>moderators want to silence them? Do they treat everyone, including the
>former "problem" people, fairly and equally?

Igor, I must disagree with you in detail.  I believe that some of the
problem this list is experiencing is because one or more people wish to
destroy it.  They are attempting to fill this list with so much junk that
all the people who read it will go elsewhere.  In the recent past, they
have subscribed it to other high-volume mailing lists, and given its
address to direct marketers as a "person" interested in sales pitches.
Perhaps these people already feel they are being treated unfairly by the
management of the unmoderated list.

These people will be perfectly happy to forge the names of preapproved
posters to further their attack.  While I suggest that, if we have
preapproved posters, we should try it first without digital signatures, I
predict that forgeries will be used to get around this policy.

I note in passing that at least one person has threatened to, "KILL
cypherpunks !!!".

Bill Frantz       | Client in California, POP3 | Periwinkle -- Consulting
(408)356-8506     | in Pittsburgh, Packets in  | 16345 Englewood Ave.
frantz@netcom.com | Pakistan. - me             | Los Gatos, CA 95032, USA

Thread