1997-01-27 - Re: David Kahn advocates GAK

Header Data

From: wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 57463c546b53edf8b315fba14e8553a420f548f22023a90bb725c2aff675a95b
Message ID: <199701270023.TAA17765@unix.asb.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 16:03:28 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: wlkngowl@unix.asb.com (Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 16:03:28 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: David Kahn advocates GAK

On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:32:56 GMT, you wrote:

>This is surprising, given that (in Kahn on Codes) Mr. Kahn expressed
>forceful opinions

>- against certain aspects of export controls,

>- questioning the value of the NSA's mission, in contrast to social
>demands on government revenues.

I didn't find his opinions forceful in Codebreakers, 2nd. ed.

Questioning the NSA's purpose vs. advoctating GAK are not incompatible.

>However, while I oppose making key escrow mandatory in general, and
>share the general suspicion of a voluntary Clipper, if Mr. Kahn's
>support for Clipper is limited to cellular telephones, then I have no
>quarrel with such a position.

>Encryption is illegal, without special permission, for use over the
>airwaves, particularly where mobile radio is involved. This is a
>long-standing restriction, and not unreasonable. Private communication
>between people at home is one thing, but allowing criminals to closely
>coordinate their activities on the move is another.
[..]

The problem is the technology is merged. What if you're using cellular links
to your ISP, and use SSL or ssh or PGP? Radio is being advocated as a
possible solution to some of the net's bandwidth problems.

Rob

Thread