1997-01-26 - Re: overview.htm (fwd)

Header Data

From: Nurdane Oksas <oksas@asimov.montclair.edu>
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Message Hash: 687cd2de0a88802e964e234ad38d3b56f410616b6690d473d21bc5ea2898e2ac
Message ID: <Pine.SOL.3.93.970126165515.22420A-100000@pegasus.montclair.edu>
Reply To: <199701262048.OAA01617@smoke.suba.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-26 22:00:54 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 14:00:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Nurdane Oksas <oksas@asimov.montclair.edu>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 14:00:54 -0800 (PST)
To: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Subject: Re: overview.htm (fwd)

On Sun, 26 Jan 1997, snow wrote:

> > > getting this degenerate disease when they get older.  Check out the
> > > videos by Howard Lyman, who used to be a big-time "chemical" farmer.
> > > One quote:  "My soil after a few years was like asbestos".
> > As far as I understand, 1) no one really understands why cancer rates
> > are up so much and 2) since people live longer, they are more likely do
> > have cancer.
>
>    While I don't claim to to be a Medical Researcher, I think that 1) should
> be reworded to be "No one is willing to _admit_ why cancer rates are up so
> much". You (generic) can look at certain population groups where there is
> low incidence(sp?) of cancer, and then look at our society and it becomes
> pretty obvious.
>
>    Breast Cancer is exteremely rare in japenese women living in Japan. Thes
> same women <excuse me while I light a cigerate> move to the US, start living
> like American start developing breast cancer at a rate very similar to that
> of American born women.

	lack of olive oil intake?? i head that olive oil is esp. necessary
	for women, as well as milk.

>    IMO the biggest reason that "no one really understands why cancer rates are
> up..." is that "they" are looking for the single bullet when reality isn't
> usually that simple.
>
>    I would be willing to make a bet that if you could get a large population
> group to do the following, you would see a large statistical reduction in the
> incidence(sp?) of cancer.
>
> 	1) Eat a lot of fruits, vegetables & breads and cerials. Stay away from
> large quantities of meat. Try to reduce your fat intake to under 20 grams a
> day (USDA recommends around 40)
>
>         2) Exercise regularly. Ride a bike or walk/run to work.

	i think it's good also to exercise outdoors as well as your
	indoor nordictrack machines..sun and air is esp. necessary;

> 	3) Avoid excess in all things.

	even chocolate? :)

> > What you said is one of the hypotheses. I personally feel that
> > environment and bad greasy food are other major contributors.
> > The way they cook all these fries, with overheated grease, is very
> > bad.
>
>      BINGO!.

	EAt well, and smile too ;)

>      Sorry, gotta go, it's dinner time and McD's is calling...

	a good laugh goes a long way ... ;)

Thread