1997-01-30 - Clarification on The Politics of Export Restrictions

Header Data

From: Rick Hornbeck <rnh2@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6a73b3b95d6c7d2a360866876b5f47eba868cd170cc74a59ed8cc1a46226e8c6
Message ID: <3.0.1.32.19970130133913.0068c9b0@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:40:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rick Hornbeck <rnh2@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 13:40:24 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Clarification on The Politics of Export Restrictions

I am submitting the following a second time as the first one did not seem
to get posted.

I agree the strategy would have to be hijack-proof.  Something like Gore
experiencing a convenient "change of heart" towards the end of this current
term and convincing Clinton and the administration to soften crypto export
restrictions which would make Gore look like a hero to the high-tech
community just in time for the election. Naturally this would have to be
carefully scripted but the objective would be to keep the democrats in power.

Just a theory.