1997-01-30 - Re: Fighting the cybercensor

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Sean Roach <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 72a883f33891c0efd83e37392a147584e15d511adb0a2c1cad7a9406d83a4b07
Message ID: <199701300457.UAA22821@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:57:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 20:57:53 -0800 (PST)
To: Sean Roach <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Fighting the cybercensor

At 10:41 AM 1/29/97 -0800, Sean Roach wrote:
>At 09:40 PM 1/27/97 -0500, Phillip M. Hallam-Baker wrote:
>>Thats because its a whacko solution that has no credibility
>>or consistency.
>>
>>If anyone tried to set up such a market and a price went out
>>on any of the heads of state fantasized about Mr Bell would be
>>dead as a doornail in a week.
>>
>So you're saying that the system would work.  Mr. bell would be targeted, a
>price on his head, for starting that very system.  Mr. Bell would be a
>martyr, his system being proven by his own death.  It would be some varient
>of his idea that would be used to kill him, a bounty.

Exactly correct.   I will be killed by AP, my own invention. (however, I
will be killed for merely DESCRIBING it, not only if I started the first
instance of it.)   Before I'd published the first part of AP, I knew and
accepted what was going to happen.  See AP part 7, at the end, quoted here:

"Awe, that a system could be produced by a handful of people that
would rid the world of the scourge of war, nuclear weapons, governments, and
taxes.  Astonishment, at my realization that once started, it would cover
the entire globe inexorably, erasing dictatorships both fascistic and
communistic, monarchies, and even so-called "democracies," which as a
general rule today are really just the facade of government by the special
interests.  Joy, that it would eliminate all war, and force the dismantling
not only of all nuclear weapons, but also all militaries, making them not
merely redundant but also considered universally dangerous, leaving their
"owners" no choice but to dismantle them, and in fact no reason to KEEP them!"

"Terror, too, because this system may just change almost EVERYTHING how we
think about our current society, and even more for myself personally, the
knowledge that there may some day be a large body of wealthy people who are
thrown off their current positions of control of the world's governments,
and the very-real possibility that they may look for a "villain" to blame
for their downfall.  They will find one, in me, and at that time they will
have the money and (thanks to me, at least partially) the means to see their
revenge.  But I would not have published this essay if I had been unwilling
to accept the risk."

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread