1997-01-08 - Re: [STATS] Cypherpunks subscriptions on and off

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: dthorn@gte.net (Dale Thorn)
Message Hash: 7b596de2fe5673fe3cd434a34748b3c2362f6415a1b0c2d2489dcdfb1d4d61d8
Message ID: <199701081608.IAA16175@songbird.com>
Reply To: <32D30EFB.5F8@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-08 15:05:35 UTC
Raw Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 07:05:35 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 1997 07:05:35 -0800 (PST)
To: dthorn@gte.net (Dale Thorn)

Dale Thorn allegedly said:

> The following table shows cypherpunks subscription activity
> for the period 12 Oct 1996 thru 07 January 1996.
[...]

> Interpretation:
>
> Unless the reversal of gain/loss in the 5th data row is permanent,
> c-punks are losing 0.8 bodies per day, or 294 subscribers per year.
>
> Actually, the constant high turnover suggests something else:
> Many people join the list and get back off again due to the high
> volume and their own personal time constraints.

As a relatively new subscriber I find the single factor most likely
to get me to leave is the garbage on the list.

And a significant portion of the traffic is discussion about that garbage.

> Unless Sandy can
> cut *way* back on the number of posts to the list, i.e. excise a *lot*
> more postings than just the blatant Spam and "Timmy is a....." posts,
> it won't make any difference to those people who come and go.

No.  The blatant spam and "Timmy isa" posts are more annoying
than the large volume, at least in my case.
[...]

> As to the net loss in subscribers, the moderation of the list could
> have a substantial effect on the number of subscribers short-term,
> but whatever trend we have here will continue regardless, since the
> real value and character of the list is not determined by the posts
> which are removed (unless it were that some of the character and value
> is going to be removed), but by long-term factors which are to be
> expected when the principals get older, less involved, and less
> contentious (like Sandy, wanting to avoid conflict).

Moderation may actually cause the list to grow at a faster pace.

While I don't agree with your analysis in the short run, in the long
run volume on the list will be *the* problem -- just due to the
growth of the net.  And in the long run, undoubtedly further
structure will evolve -- there is no meaningful way to deal with say
10000 messages per day without some way of structuring the flow.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com,kc@llnl.gov		the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread