1997-01-24 - Re: Encrypting ZIP disks

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: “David E. Smith” <dsmith@prairienet.org>
Message Hash: 7b6450c0568338396b801ef38feae127b9f63d54f296f8605ce92562d2a298ca
Message ID: <199701242112.NAA07638@toad.com>
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:12:34 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 13:12:34 -0800 (PST)
To: "David E. Smith" <dsmith@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: Encrypting ZIP disks

David E. Smith wrote:
> I'm playing with SecureDrive; the problem is not with using it
> with a Zip disk so much as it is trying to get it to play nice
> with Windows 95.

> Iomega hasn't been willing to tell me how the password is stored,
> so this looks like a big boiling pot of snake oil.  Anyone out
> there played with Zip drive/disk internals and know how it works?

Dave,
  I came across a 'cracker' program that claims to be able to
hack the SecureDrive encryption system.
  Off the top of my head, I think it was called ZipCracker, or
something similar in name to one of the PKZip encryption
cracking programs.  I found it on one of the hacker websites,
and there was a text file regarding SecureDrive which went
into some detail re: both the hardware and software aspects
of the Zip drives and the encryption itself.

Toto

Thread