1997-01-06 - Re: Experiments on Mailing Lists

Header Data

From: wireinfo <wireinfo@wire-in.com>
To: “Freedom Knights” <cypherpunks@toad.com>
Message Hash: 7d7e3fefc1d0ecf4b9ce793dd12398de52a7606b2fcd27b2547831bbe3230189
Message ID: <199701060110.TAA23884@mail.phoenix.net>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 17:10:47 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: wireinfo <wireinfo@wire-in.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 17:10:47 -0800 (PST)
To: "Freedom Knights" <cypherpunks@toad.com>

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM, dlv@bwalk.dm.com writes:

>"Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net> writes:
>> Except for the one of using the versions of majordomo (which exist, as I
>> understand things) which only allow posts by subscribed members. This may
>> nuke anonymous posts, but so what? The _possibility_ of anonymity, which we
>> mostly all support, does not mean that people have to listen to such posts.
>> And since the junk from anonymous posts is getting to be a serious
>> problem....
>>
>> Another possibility is that anonymous posts get kicked into a file for
>> later approval or nonapproval by someone. Nothing fancy (that is, no
>> "tokens" and complicated accounting systems, such as have been proposed),
>> just a manual "moderation" by someone, or some set of volunteers, etc.
>> Enough moderation to let the "Red Rackham" sorts of good posts through
>> while blocking the "Make Money Fast" and barnyard insults from making it.

ah, yes: "good" becomes so well-defined, as the "banyard insults" shoe
drops. a lie, my grandmother used to tell me, is halfway around the world
before the truth has even got its boots on.

>Timmy seems to be VERY bothered by those anonymous posts and would
>surely like them to stop - perfectly illustrating why the "cypher punks"
>are enemies of free speech. Timmy can killfile anything he doesn't like,
>but he wants to prevent everyone else from seeing whatever information
>Timmy doesn't want to be disseminated.
>
>You lose, Timmy.  The truth wants to be free.

or somewhere around $19.95 a month, anyway.

-just another internet MessAge Processor

Thread