1997-01-27 - Re: David Kahn advocates GAK

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 87193199443ff1a59511229e2a774730d3293d49004e6e904d56caff7a77d186
Message ID: <199701270228.SAA03696@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:28:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 1997 18:28:01 -0800 (PST)
To: Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: David Kahn advocates GAK

At 12:03 AM 1/27/97 GMT, Robert Rothenburg Walking-Owl wrote:
>On Thu, 23 Jan 1997 17:32:56 GMT, John Savard <seward@netcom.ca> wrote:
>
>>This is surprising, given that (in Kahn on Codes) Mr. Kahn expressed
>>forceful opinions
>
>>- against certain aspects of export controls,
>
>>- questioning the value of the NSA's mission, in contrast to social
>>demands on government revenues.
>
>I didn't find his opinions forceful in Codebreakers, 2nd. ed.
>
>Questioning the NSA's purpose vs. advoctating GAK are not incompatible.
>
>>However, while I oppose making key escrow mandatory in general, and
>>share the general suspicion of a voluntary Clipper, if Mr. Kahn's
>>support for Clipper is limited to cellular telephones, then I have no
>>quarrel with such a position.
>
>>Encryption is illegal, without special permission, for use over the
>>airwaves, particularly where mobile radio is involved. This is a
>>long-standing restriction, and not unreasonable. Private communication
>>between people at home is one thing, but allowing criminals to closely
>>coordinate their activities on the move is another.

It's odd that I can't seem to find the original message here.  Contrary to
the original claim, encryption over radio is generally legal.   (One noted
exception to this is ham radio...)

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread