1997-01-19 - Wow.

Header Data

From: amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9f5a3aaf462c7b0359108d4b4f32964869290909f1afa5ca47f595eed7d711c6
Message ID: <199701190558.AAA20187@mail.intercon.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 21:59:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: amanda@intercon.com (Amanda Walker)
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 1997 21:59:00 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Wow.

Well, in the week or two since resubscribing to Cypherpunks, I've seen a
trickle of postings about cryptography, security, and privacy, and a flood
of insults, harangues, fighting words, and so on.  Some of this reads more
like a script from a Jerry Falwell TV spot than anything I recognize as
"Cypherpunk" traffic.

I don't care who's offended whom.  I'm not interested in participating in a
forum where the supposed topic is submerged underneath a lot of adolescent
alpha primate chest-beating.

I'm off to look for a mailing list where people are ACTUALLY DISCUSSING
CRYPTOGRAPHY AND IMPLEMENTING CRYPTOSYSTEMS.  This list may still be
called "cypherpunks", but it doesn't have much cypherpunk left in it, as
far as I can tell.

Disgusted,

Amanda Walker
Senior Software Engineer