1997-01-24 - Re: Sandy dumps Igor but allows KOTM

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: Anonymous <nobody@REPLAY.COM>
Message Hash: a2bec8c7818dee46227f2f53aab350644c2c91a15c7b59f3687fca6e497e0afd
Message ID: <32E92D85.7A3@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <199701241711.SAA28269@basement.replay.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-24 19:57:27 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:57:27 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 1997 11:57:27 -0800 (PST)
To: Anonymous <nobody@REPLAY.COM>
Subject: Re: Sandy dumps Igor but allows KOTM

Anonymous wrote:

> Face it, it's a bad idea. The Cypherpunks community is not the private
> sandbox of Gilmour and Sandfort

  Yes it is. The fact that they are able to tell others when and how
they will be moderated or censored makes it so.

> The list may currently be hosted on
> Gilmour's computer, but having Sandy decide what's right for us to read is
> inconsistent with Cypherpunks ideals.

  So what is your point?  The moderation process has little to do with
rights or ideals. Now that the WWW is making the InterNet a money-making
entity, rights and ideals will play a decreasingly important role in
decisions regarding its use and the censorship thereof.
  Also, since John is becoming an increasingly important political
entity in the InterNet community, I am sure that it is very important
to him to be able to control the direction of his private list (and
to use the age-old political device of having a 'front man' to take
the 'heat' for his decisions).
  It is not the first time in history that fame and fortune (or even
the smell of it in the wind) has led to 'rights' and 'ideals' needing
a small bit of 'adjustment'.

Toto

Thread