1997-01-29 - Re: Best Computer School?

Header Data

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Message Hash: a810036ceca25cab09808365782ec01bc7abbb1106be42925b9df078d6863050
Message ID: <199701290256.SAA14915@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:56:00 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Rick Osborne <osborne@gateway.grumman.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 18:56:00 -0800 (PST)
To: Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Best Computer School?

At 12:32 PM 1/28/97 -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:
>This is really exagerating.  You do not need a 4.0, 1600, etc. to be
>admitted to MIT.  Sure, you need good grades, but a 3.6 average and
>1350-1400 SAT scores is perfectly adequate to be admitted to MIT.

I disagree and can speak from experience.  I was denied admission to MIT
even thought I had a 3.82 GPA, 1440 SAT (one try), and had taken 9 AP tests
with two 5's, four 4's, two 3's, and one 2.  As for being well-rounded, I
was on several academic teams, sang in Chorus, acted and stage managed in
Drama, and played Tennis.

The only thing I didn't have that the next MIT applicant had was money.  I
made the mistake of letting them know that I was dirt poor and would need
full aid/grants/etc, and to quote "The Great Escape" it was "Zzzt! To the
Russian front!"

>For what it's worth, I wanted to go to MIT my sophomore year in high
>school, too

Lucky you.  It had been a dream of mine since I was an annoying
overachiever of 6.  Sux to be white trash, I guess.

MIT may be a great school, but they tend to be snooty assholes for the most
part.  (DISCLAIMER: Not all MIT grads/attendees are necessarily "snooty
assholes", I'm just saying that I've yet to meet one that wasn't.)
_________ o s b o r n e @ g a t e w a y . g r u m m a n . c o m _________
"He who knows, does not speak.
He who speaks, does not know."

Thread