1997-01-15 - Re: Airport security [no such thing]

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Message Hash: aae2327a11d1ae6278f468ae3f09be9c504f8b3b8c0310744b70cd9405bc0bfb
Message ID: <v02140b00af02bc97ae6a@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:01:35 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 1997 09:01:35 -0800 (PST)
To: toto@sk.sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Airport security [no such thing]

>Krenn wrote:
>
>> But wait - won't the all-important "did you pack your bags yourself" and
>> "did anyone give you bags to take on the plane" stop them? ;-)
>
>  If your friends or family are a little late catching the same plane as
>yourself, then just answer, "No, my son packed them."
>  This, on the average, gives your companions an extra 10-15 minutes
>to catch the plane, since regulations require them to do a complete
>check of your baggage (and they are 'supposed' to take them to a
>secure area to do so).
>  Since you are ready to board the plane they cannot legally detain
>you and let the plane go on, in order to process you and your
>baggage according to proper regulatory procedure. They must,
>instead, detain the plane.
>  They may jump up and down and tell you this is not so, but I have
>never missed a plane, and neither have most of my tardy companions.

I don't know which airlines you fly, but the ones I am familiar with ask
these questions at the baggage counter (checked luggage) and gate (carry-on
items).  Since you are supposed to be at the airport one hour before
departure, in most instances if you get to the counter or gate less than 10
minutes before take-off your reservations lapse (by Fed rules) and  are no
longer requred to board you. If they are forced to search you luggage they
will, legally, allow the plane to depart w/o you.

-- Steve

Thread