1997-01-30 - Re: The Politics of Export Restrictions

Header Data

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
To: Rick Hornbeck <rnh2@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: ab6ed9969363d6f3dbb0c06b728f6cfc9893132aa41bd1375ece60ff903ccfa5
Message ID: <199701300855.AAA27401@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 00:55:45 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Greg Broiles <gbroiles@netbox.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Jan 1997 00:55:45 -0800 (PST)
To: Rick Hornbeck <rnh2@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: The Politics of Export Restrictions

At 09:44 PM 1/29/97 -0800, Rick Hornbeck wrote:

>Is it possible the unreasonable crypto export restrictions are simply being
>imposed at this time for the purpose of making Al Gore look good when he
>runs for President in 2000?

I suppose it's plausible, but it's an opportunity open to both candidates,
and more plausibly (because of lack of collaboration) to the Republicans -
e.g., Dan Quayle and the "Crypto Freedom For Americans" platform, promising
to rescue Silicon Valley from those evil regulatory Democrats.

If I were an evil politician trying to set up a trick like you suggest, I
think I'd want a scheme that my opponent(s) couldn't hijack and use against
me.

--
Greg Broiles                | US crypto export control policy in a nutshell:
gbroiles@netbox.com         |

Thread