1997-01-11 - Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: ac32b8cf946c3e851863cbfc3d9a335819812f05f1d43c5f89d562df1f920445
Message ID: <R8VD1D66w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <199701111710.LAA06067@manifold.algebra.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-11 21:00:28 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:00:28 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Sat, 11 Jan 1997 13:00:28 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home) writes:

> when moderators receive messages for moderation, they would not see any
> header information indicating who wrote the message (this information
> would be in the packet that arrives to them, but it would be encrypted
> with Internal Traffic Key). This way, a moderator would not know if the
> message is, say, from Tim May or from Dr. Vulis, and would make their
> decisions (including decisions to preapprove) based solely on the
> message contents. That may give some way towards fairness.

If the content says: "Dr. Vulis is a crazy Russian Jew, don't tell him what
a petard is, and fuck the colored race", then the origin is pretty obvious.

> Note that another important feature of STUMP that we seem to overlook was
> designed specifically to address the problems of preapproved lists. This
> feature is the presence of "bad words list". This is a set of regular
> expressions, stored in a file, such that if incoming messages match
> these expressions, they would be considered "suspicious" even if they
> purport to be "From: " preapproved persons. That goes a long way towards
> security and fairness because now nobody (including, say, Paul Bradley
> along with Dr. Vulis or myself) would be able to call someone else
> "cocksucker" without review by human moderators.

But Plucky green would be able to call people "vermin", and "crazy Russian"
just like Igor is able to call his enemies "eunichs".

ObModeratorFodder: John Gilmore is a lying cocksucker.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM