1997-01-29 - More Circumventing the ITAR

Header Data

From: “Mark Rosen” <mrosen@peganet.com>
To: <cryptography@c2.net>
Message Hash: b08091404bb3c94142c30ed5d170d0da43443d5e572503ca47f44588bbf82922
Message ID: <199701290307.WAA13939@mercury.peganet.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:15:57 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Mark Rosen" <mrosen@peganet.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 1997 19:15:57 -0800 (PST)
To: <cryptography@c2.net>
Subject: More Circumventing the ITAR

	I'm curious as to exactly what the ITAR/EAR/Whatever says specifically
about "unrestricted FTP sites." My program, Kremlin, is available for
download at the web page below. On my web page, I have some stuff in bold
print that informs about the ITAR and tells people to go away if they're
not from the US or Canada. Does this count as an unrestricted FTP site?
It's not all that much different from what MIT has up for PGP.
	Also, back to the question of registration numbers. A registration number
is just a string of letters and numbers, and is essentially the same as a
friendly letter; it contains no cryptographic code. For all anyone knows, I
could just be charging for pseudo-random numbers, again, nothing of
cryptographic significance. Is it illegal for me to mail someone outside of
the US or Canada a registration code? Thanks for any help.

Mark Rosen
FireSoft - http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Pines/2690
Mark Eats AOL - http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/6660

Thread