1997-01-08 - Re: Information Warfare

Header Data

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
To: anonymous@miron.vip.best.com
Message Hash: b53c0d40243ad3d1129bed03fc41215f507c038c42fc238174218c87425fef1b
Message ID: <32D321CB.463B@sk.sympatico.ca>
Reply To: <199701071855.KAA05718@miron.vip.best.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-08 05:31:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 21:31:40 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Toto <toto@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Jan 1997 21:31:40 -0800 (PST)
To: anonymous@miron.vip.best.com
Subject: Re: Information Warfare

anonymous@miron.vip.best.com wrote:
> NOVEMBER 11, 1996
> INFORMATION WARFARE
> U.S. sitting duck, DOD panel predicts
> BY BOB BREWIN AND HEATHER HARRELD (antenna@fcw.com and heather_harreld@fcw.com)
>
> The dependence of the United States on computers and communications systems to run
> its critical power, finance and transportation systems
> places the country at risk in the event of an information warfare (IW) attack,
> according to a report prepared by a top-level Defense Department
> advisory panel.

  Sounds like we're going to need some strong legislation and
restrictive
regulations to deal with this problem...

> These recommendations included a controversial call for the Pentagon to
> have the legal power to protect nongovernmental portions of the
> infrastructure in the name of "the common defense."

  Hey, am I goddamn psychic, or what?

> To defend DOD and critical nongovernmental systems against IW, the report
> recommends new legal authority that will allow "DOD, law enforcement and
> intelligence agencies to conduct efficient, coordinated monitoring of
> attacks on the critical civilian information infrastructure...."

  Moderation of the CypherPunks forum is a start. Let's just hope that
it doesn't stop there.

Toto

Thread