1997-01-25 - Re: Fighting the cybercensor. (fwd)

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: b5d41d131356005d4a2df1e63eb413bd41b70d75753cf05f20edeea41ddb7da1
Message ID: <199701252055.MAA02659@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:55:42 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 1997 12:55:42 -0800 (PST)
To: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Fighting the cybercensor. (fwd)

Bill Stewart wrote:
> At 07:38 PM 1/23/97 -0600, Jim Choate wrote:
> One of the points of the Ebonics program is to recognize that
> other people don't always speak the same way you do, and that
> if you want to communicate with them, you'll be more successful
> if you realize it, understand when they're talking in their dialect,

I could agree with "some of the points" of the Ebonics program were
it not for the fact of the hidden points.  Unbeknownst to most folks,
supporting a program on any erstwhile points will give support to the
program on *all* points.

One specific example:

When I worked for Firestone corporate from 1970 to 1981, we were
bullied into giving to the United Fund. (BTW, I learned how much
my boss was making by reading the punches on the IBM cards.) The one
bone they tossed us was we could specify which worthy causes our
personal contribution would go towards.  The trick was, if a certain
greater-than-expected number of people specified a Catholic charity,
for example, more funds would then be moved into the other charities
to balance that out.  Presumably those funds would come from those
folks who hadn't declared a designee.

In my view, once the contributors' specific designations were made,
the remaining undesignated contributions should have been split
across the designees according to the original percentages declared
in the U.F. literature.  Anything else would be a farce.

Thread