1997-01-19 - Re: I beg you, PLEASE prove that 0.123456789101112131415 is IRRATIONAL

Header Data

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
To: nobody@squirrel.owl.de (Secret Squirrel)
Message Hash: c53df7405d22d8ab43230a6ab0c6ca7f49d2796461d0a193233eaa8b025d8dd3
Message ID: <199701192238.QAA05435@smoke.suba.com>
Reply To: <19970119064820.11000.qmail@squirrel.owl.de>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-19 22:21:59 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:21:59 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: snow <snow@smoke.suba.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 14:21:59 -0800 (PST)
To: nobody@squirrel.owl.de (Secret Squirrel)
Subject: Re: I beg you, PLEASE prove that 0.123456789101112131415 is IRRATIONAL

> I BEG YOU TO HELP ME!!!
> Also, another question for math geniuses here:
> Is it REALLY true that there are real numbers that cannot be generated
> by any algorithm? Some guy said that since the set of algorithms is
> countable, but the set of real numbers is more than countable, there
> must be some numbers for which there is no algorithms that generate them.

    x=0;
    x1=0;
    x++;
    x--;

    Would give you all int's, the only problem you have is granularity. In
practice, there are numbers which you can't get with algorythms, but in
theory you should be able to hit all real numbers of given granularity (i.e,
10 digits past the decimal point) with the right hardware and software. as in:

    x=0.00000000001;
    y=0.00000000001;
    x1=x;
    x=x+y;
    x1=x1-y;

    Should give you all real numbers with a granularity of 11 digits to the
right of the decimal point.

> I AM REAL DESPERATE FOR YOUR ASS ISTANCE.

     HIBT?

Thread