1997-01-03 - Re: Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: c570c00e02c03401d3288319d8f07655d5495e6532b29a4f04037b47b3ec6845
Message ID: <32CCAA29.676F@gte.net>
Reply To: <9612302254.AA00731@cow.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-03 06:43:32 UTC
Raw Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:43:32 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1997 22:43:32 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice

Rich Graves wrote:
> Bill Frantz wrote:
> > At 10:54 AM -0800 12/31/96, Timothy C. May wrote:
> > >Our focus is more radical. We are effectively a cyber-militia,
> > >fulfilling Jefferson's recommendation that a revolution happen
> > >every 20 years. (Funny, there hasn't been one in more than 200 years.[snip]
> >I would say that the street action which effectively eliminated legally
> >mandated racial segregation about 25 years ago qualifies as a revolution.[snip]
> Cryptoanarchy, as envisioned here, is not about people mobbing in the
> streets. It's fundamentally about insulating oneself from the mobs in
> the streets. However, revolutions tend to have unintended consequences.[snip]

Looks like we're coming to the old "irresistable force meets immovable
object" consensus, yes?

The sheeple are going to plod along slowly and resistantly towards
personal, "secure" encryption,
while the rulers would rather eat their children than give up money.

My guess is that the public (see: sheeple) is *never* going to become
technically oriented, no matter how many gizmos or crypto programs they
have and can use. Therefore, the rulers, possessing ever greater numbers
and quality of intrusive devices, will inch forward toward total control,
despite temporary advances by the sheeple.

The (perfect) example of the 1960's revolution was vastly outweighed by:

1. Decapitation of any independent leadership, i.e., assassinations.
2. Co-opting of schools, businesses, media, welfare programs et al.
3. Tremendous advances in disinformation and propaganda technology
   which has no analogy amongst the general public.

Some people think the Internet will help the average guy win back some
freedom, but the reality is that capital is still being shifted away
from the common folk to the wealthier folk, even as the Internet expands.

The sheeple have had one (unintended) weapon on their side:  The fact
that the scumbag fed agencies and their beneficiaries have been fighting
amongst themselves a lot (see: assassinations). This will instantly stop
if the sheeple become a real threat.  You won't believe how fast.

It's the dream of every elitist that they will someday be able to enjoy
a really comfortable and yet productive existence, where the non-elite
are satisfied and happy with their jobs (or are somehow being supported
without unduly burdening the elitists), and most important, are just
comfortable enough that they won't riot (or at least won't riot in the
elitist neighborhoods).  Most likely the electronic implants and drugs
(Soma, HDTV/3DTV) will alleviate most of the sheeple's unhappiness, so
as to reduce the requirement for the elitists to give any more attention
to these problems.

Thread