1997-01-06 - Re: Will off-topic libertarian bullshit be allowed on the moderated mailing list?

Header Data

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)
Message Hash: c9ab53b156c689acbe568bfe873fc4f4a8abb64a78341c25a1dbd2b8679241cd
Message ID: <3.0.32.19970105201837.006bd3a4@192.100.81.126>
Raw Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:20:13 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Lucky Green <shamrock@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 1997 20:20:13 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com (Cypherpunks)

At 08:39 PM 1/5/97 -0600, Igor Chudov @ home wrote:
>If restrictions on content are to be imposed, it is not only fair
>but also rational to exclude off-topic political rants as well as
>flames. Both of these categories add zero value to accomplishing
>Cypherpunks' mission.

I disagree. If you want "straight crypto", subscribe to Coderpunks. This
list is first and foremost a political list. Yes, I said it. Cypherpunks is
a political list. If it was just a technical list, it would have never
become as popular as it did. Nor would it have helped to create such a
strong sense of community amongst many of its long time subscribers.

As to firearms: Crypto is a weapon. There are very good reasons why
governments determined to overstep their bounds are working so hard to
restrict access to both crypto and firearms. You can't have one without the
other. At least not for long.

-- Lucky Green <mailto:shamrock@netcom.com> PGP encrypted mail preferred
   Make your mark in the history of mathematics. Use the spare cycles of
   your PC/PPC/UNIX box to help find a new prime.
   http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm

Thread