1997-01-06 - Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Message Hash: d1d5199aa76ef6214317c55d3d1be61166c92b90043dc3f7b7fa87d26ce64ee3
Message ID: <32D0BD19.1AB7@gte.net>
Reply To: <Pine.SUN.3.94.970106015521.18277A-100000@polaris>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-06 08:53:36 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 00:53:36 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 00:53:36 -0800 (PST)
To: Black Unicorn <unicorn@schloss.li>
Subject: Re: A vote of confidence for Sandy

Black Unicorn wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Jan 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:
> > Marc J. Wohler wrote:
> > > I have the utmost confidence  in Sandy and his efforts to revive the
> > > quality of our list.

> > And I have all the confidence in the world in William Bennett,
> > George Bush, and all their wonderful helpers in helping with the
> > Boys and Girls Clubs of Southern California.
> > Why not re-elect Hitler?

> One knows one has come up with a potent weapon against one's enemies when
> they begin to panic visibly like this. The smell of fear is in the air.

Fear?  What fear?  I had a long and productive life before I subscribed
here, and what with 1,000 or so programming projects awaiting me (and
most other competent programmers), I certainly won't be wasting time
bemoaning the fact that Sandy Sandfort "won" here, any more than I
bemoan the fact that most wars anywhere are won by the bad guys.

> The question is, will the ultimate internet trump card of a distractor
> (Reference Godwin's law) divert the issue and save poor Mr. Thorn from a
> policy which is certainly going to be a devastating impact on his public
> exposure from here on out?

I'll tell you something else. If I have an opportunity to contribute to
a project that can fight censorship of this kind, I will do so eagerly.
OTOH, I have no "tentacles", nor will I ever have such things.  I am not
a communications, security, O/S, or other such kind of programmer/person,
and I will not get into those types of applications short of physically
saving my life.  In other words, if Sandfort/Gilmore cuts me off in the
long run, it's doubtful you'd hear from me again unless something is
forwarded from Freedom-Knights, and even that is doubtful.

> It does amuse me that George Bush and William Bennett are thrown out
> for fear mongering purposes before Godwin's law is invoked.

One would think you would understand the principle of using examples
to illustrate a point. The very idea that those names would automatic-
ally inspire fear is amusing.

> One would think Mr. Thorn had mistaken the list for a liberal stronghold.

Having read a lot of the crap put out by organizations from the KKK to
the ADL (all scumbags BTW), I no longer take the naive position that a
person is "liberal" (hence, one-dimensional) or "conservative", or any
other convenient tag.  Some people are liars, hypocrites, and assholes,
though, and I prefer to determine that by their actions rather than
their speculations.

> Then again, no one ever accused Mr. Dale "Snake Oil" Thorn of being
> afflicted with a strong writer's sense of audience).

You mean I don't tailor my prose to what people want to hear?
Better yet, I don't go somewhere else where maybe I would be more
welcome with my ideas?  I'm embarrassed for you, for your lack of
imagination.  And if the "snake oil" tag refers to my ideas on
crypto software (i.e., PGP), well, you have a long way to go
before you provide a serious mental challenge to me.

Thread