1997-01-14 - Newt’s phone calls

Header Data

From: Clay Olbon II <olbon@ix.netcom.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: e363fc4731d59b46578a58a21a2ff4e9fc900675e984872a1a4247f26af687b8
Message ID: <1.5.4.16.19970113191647.098f90d2@popd.ix.netcom.com>
Raw Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:13:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Clay Olbon II <olbon@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 1997 16:13:37 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Newt's phone calls

I just caught the news reports of Newt Gingrich's cell phone calls being
taped by "a little old retired couple" with a scanner.  These were then
given to a congressman, who gave them to a newspaper.

The take on this that we won't hear is: "This is outrageous!  Why don't
cell-phones offer encryption to ensure our privacy?"

Unfortunately, I think crypto is still so far beneath the public
consciousness that the obvious solution to these sorts of problems is
ignored in favor of the "there oughta be a law" non-solution.  (Of course,
in this case there is a law!) What I really hope this incident spawns is a
market ...

        Clay

Clay Olbon			    olbon@ix.netcom.com
sys-admin, engineer, programmer, statistitian, etc.

Thread