1997-01-07 - Re: Thoughts on moderation

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Douglas Barnes <cman@c2.net>
Message Hash: f5eecb89a1a8ac68a187f10b3a215e4e2fc15093d2e1a56e0a9fa644e7850d35
Message ID: <32D1EEB0.38F8@gte.net>
Reply To: <3.0.32.19970106143122.00d9d5d4@gabber.c2.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-01-07 06:36:54 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:36:54 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 1997 22:36:54 -0800 (PST)
To: Douglas Barnes <cman@c2.net>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on moderation

Douglas Barnes wrote:
> 1) I've known Sandy for a couple of years, and I trust him to
>    use good judgement as a moderator. It will be important to
>    develop guidelines so that the job can be rotated, but it's also
>    important that the moderator be someone who doesn't have any
>    major axe to grind. Sandy has his personal likes and dislikes,
>    but I don't think he'll ever stoop to tossing out opinions that
>    he disagrees with.

Wishful thinking, Doug.  Sandy will take an emotional (non-objective)
position on an issue, and argue it beyond any reasonable limit. I wish
I had all his replies to things I've said - you'd see what I mean.

Not to promote anyone who I might not be a friend of, but, there are
people on this list who are "well respected" who are light-years ahead
of Sandy in areas that are important for a list moderator.

Maybe Gilmore should have publicly announced for a moderator, and then
let the subscribers pick....

Thread