1997-01-20 - Re: Dr Vulis’s crypto experiment (Re: IMDMP: SOURCE CODE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT)

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Message Hash: fa6c96f54483daf791fa167e1662a101195596ada2fba20bbbd463d8be62657c
Message ID: <199701200456.UAA00406@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:56:07 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:56:07 -0800 (PST)
To: Adam Back <aba@dcs.ex.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Dr Vulis's crypto experiment (Re: IMDMP: SOURCE CODE RELEASE ANNOUNCEMENT)

my predictions:

	1) Dale Thorn will become another Kagalenko and will mailbomb mods
	2) 90% of cypherpunks-moderated will be about moderation
	   and censorship
	3) there will be massive openings of alternative cypherpunks
	   mailing lists, all doomed to fail
	4) several alt.* newsgroups like alt.cypherpunks will be created
	5) main business of freedom-knights will be shitting and spitting
	   at cypherpunks in alt.cypherpunks
	6) moderators will spend increasing amounts of time on their work
	7) crossposting between alt.cypherpunks and mail.cypherpunks
	   will be prohibited by alt.cypherpunks FAQ, posted monthly
	   by Dr. John Martin Grubor

igor

Adam Back wrote:

> It's occured to me recently that Dimitri's posts are not being read
> correctly, it is not the content which is the point, nor the
> superficial lack of crypto relevance.
>
> Dimitri is an intelligent guy, and has a high level of crypto
> expertise (he has a PhD on a cryptography topic).  It is my belief
> that his posts can only be understood in a "meta" sense -- he is
> engaged in a highly complex cryptographic experiment.  People who read
> and respond to his individual posts are the unwitting subjects in his
> experiments.  His posts and the responses to them are actually the
> data-set for a thorough cryptanalysis of mailing list threats.  His
> current topic under investigation is Denial of Service (DoS) attacks
> on mailing lists.
>
> Denial of service on mailing lists is a complex business, and requires
> expert human input to be done properly.
>
> Dimitri has systematically explored these types of posting behaviour:
>
> 1. Posting only crypto relevant material.
> 2. Interspersing crypto relevant posts with hand personalised flame bait.
> 3. Interspersing crypto relevant posts with bot generated flame bait.
> 4. Interspersing crypto relevant posts with news stories.
> 5. Posting only non crypto relevant material.
>
> The alert reader will recall these phases of posting style (currently
> we are in sub experiment 5, the other phases have occured over a
> protracted period of intensive experimentation, and some newer readers
> may have missed earlier phases).
>
> There were other experiments which may or may not have been part of
> Dimitri's series of DoS experiments:
>
> 6. Subscribing the list to itself (testing list resilience to recursion)
>
> 7. Forging posts to carefully selected newsgroups with
> "cypherpunks@toad.com" as the sender (this indirectly adds user
> "cypherpunks@toad.com" to many direct marketing lists as direct
> marketers make use of email addresses scanned from newsgroups).
>
> 8. The "UNSCRIVE" and other spelling variations of "unsubscribe" epidemic,
> and ensuing instructions and discussion
>
> 9. Subscribing the list to other lists
>
> 10. Bot generated flame bait posted anonymously (with ascii art)
>
> >From the post I am following up to the reader will observe an oblique
> reference to the transition from phase 4 of the experiments to the
> current phase, phase 5 (the reader will also note references to experimental
> results c and d described below):
>
> Dimitri Vulis <dlv@bwalk.dm.com> writes:
> > One memorable "censorship" incident occurred when the lying cocksucker
> > John Gilmore (spit) forcibly unsubscribed me from this list because he
> > didn't like the contents of my submissions - or did you forget already?
> > Look up Declan's disgraceful writeup on Netly News archives.
> >
> > At that time most valuable contributors to this list (such as myself)
> > resolved not to contribute crypto-relevant content to a censored forum.
>
> More widely read cypherpunks will know that Dimitri has performed
> [...]

	- Igor.

Thread