1997-02-05 - Re: BA Crypto Machine Photos

Header Data

From: “Daniel R. Oelke” <doelke@rockdal.aud.alcatel.com>
To: azur@netcom.com
Message Hash: 082f2d10617e3b230f126dcbbc1a8eaf80c6d96eadcbd2d2066cb7b4d8398d22
Message ID: <199702051555.HAA29358@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:55:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Daniel R. Oelke" <doelke@rockdal.aud.alcatel.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:55:53 -0800 (PST)
To: azur@netcom.com
Subject: Re: BA Crypto Machine Photos

> >BTW, does anyone know the meaning of 'order wire mode' in the context of a
> >crypto broadcast? This mode is found in the KWR-37 online crypto
> >receiver. Please send all photo requests or responses via private E-mail.
>
> If it means the same thing as in the telecom industry, its an out-of-band
> (often analof) channel between two locations connected by wide-band (e.g.,
> T1) facilities.  Its primary purpose is to provide service personnel, at
> each end point, the ability to converse with one another while performing
> work on that link.

I would also guess it might be something similar to the orderwire in
the telecom industry.  I am more familiar with digital orderwire systems,
but orderwires are generally all similar.  You have a communications
link, and some overhead on that link is dedicated to providing
a voice channel for communications between sites so that people
working on the line can communicate with each other.

In a crypto system - I could see that the orderwire might be a
in-the-clear transmission as part of the overhead so that people at
each end of a hop can figure out why the data (i.e. encrypted) portion
isn't getting through.

Dan
Dan Oelke                                  Alcatel Network Systems
droelke@aud.alcatel.com                             Richardson, TX

Thread