1997-02-20 - Translating C++ to Java

Header Data

From: Chris Laffra <laffra@ms.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 18cef201888568379faa1f05258fc684920b8e442b777cd3fb48416c8ac86b26
Message ID: <199702202057.MAA22497@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:57:01 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Chris Laffra <laffra@ms.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 12:57:01 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Translating C++ to Java

Hi,

I hope the following information is of interest, otherwise please ignore...

In August 1996 my book "Advanced Java" was published, and it still is one
of the only books that is not only absolutely emphatic about the language,
but in addition has a critical, honest, and objective look at Java.  I am
very happy with the reception of the book -- it is one of the Java
best-sellers, especially considering the small intended target buyers
segment (the more advanced Java programmer).  Enclosed with the book is
C2J, an automatic C++ to Java translator, written in C++ and requiring
specific UNIX tools.  My version of C2J was not very useful for a lot of
people because of the requirements on the environment.

I challenged the online community to look at the software and come up with
a full Java version. I am happy to report that has happened. A student at
PACE University in New York, Ilya Tilevich, took the challenge and did a
really nice job in making C2J a full Java program.

For more information, check out my personal home page at America Online:

	http://members.aol.com/laffra

and download the zip file containing the Java class files and source code.

I hope this information is useful for you,
Chris Laffra.

Thread