1997-02-11 - Re: What else do I need for an Internet Server

Header Data

From: Otto Matic <ott0matic@hotmail.com>
To: dthorn@gte.net
Message Hash: 227317cf542a53c4780986f5c2a97804b8c113b9b9be869189678dfcf7812cc5
Message ID: <199702111411.GAA19289@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:11:29 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Otto Matic <ott0matic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 06:11:29 -0800 (PST)
To: dthorn@gte.net
Subject: Re: What else do I need for an Internet Server

>Otto Matic wrote:
>> What else do I need for an internet server?
>> HP Vectra Towers 2 each 486 cyrex chips 50 meg processor  Need high
>> speed hard drives.  These are the Tall Towers that have multiple
>> drives, these are server towers.
>> I think I have a router Hub.  And a couple LAN cards.
>> That's all I have.  But I just got them, and I want to use them.  I assume I
>> will be using some kind of UNIX software.
>
>HP does some strange things to their BIOS software - you may want to
>get one of those net analyzer tools and some low-level software that
>can monitor what your HP's are sending and receiving, just in case.
>
>They don't normally use Vectras for UNIX, so what effects you can
>expect, I don't know.

Dale, Thanks for your reply.  Really I'm not sure about UNIX, I was just
guessing.  What I really need is a B.O.M (bill of materials).  What other
'hardware' will I need to round up in order to get this server up and running.

Thanks:

otto
Otto Matic

"Fuckin' A, Miller!"  Bud, Repo Man