1997-02-02 - Re: Libel & the 1st Amendment

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: “Mark M.” <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 230813729fbe704cb0048f19dbae4985e9d37d6a94a49ed47dfb2a506f3bb2ce
Message ID: <199702020229.SAA04759@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 18:29:37 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 18:29:37 -0800 (PST)
To: "Mark M." <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Libel & the 1st Amendment

At 12:52 PM 2/1/97 -0500, Mark M. wrote:
>On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Peter J. Capelli wrote:
>
>> 	You mean to say, rich people can overcrowd the courts as much as they
>> like, while others are restricted by contigency-only lawyers ( Call
>> 1-800-AMBULANCE! ) ... and what of the case of a rich person trying to
>> control
>> a poor one with many frivolous lawsuits ... while they can afford to file
>> lawsuit after lawsuit, the poor person cannot defend himself.
>
>What, exactly, would be the point of suing a poor person?

To quiet him from political dissent, presumably.  I think the term coined a
few years ago was "SLAPP", something akin to "Strategic Lawsuit Against
Public Policy," or similar.

For example, "Company A" wants to build a mine or factory or something
similar at a location.  Citizens object, causing political problems.
Company sues the individuals for damages, which costs the individuals a
great deal of money to defend against even if they never lose the suit.

The real problem is actually a series of mistakes:

1.  Individual should not be able to cause political problems for company.

2.  "Government" should not be able to impact company activities short of
actual harm.

3.  Company should not be able to impact individual by suing except for
actual harm done by that individual.

Naturally, the source of these problems is that by each of their existence,
lawyers make more money.

As usual, I have a solution to that problem.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread