1997-02-19 - Re: Good Bye Cypherpunks!

Header Data

From: “John W. Noerenberg” <jwn2@qualcomm.com>
To: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
Message Hash: 235b635d72b35efc6cb824eb53aa036866ad2ecc38f9ce106a51141664144a2a
Message ID: <199702190556.VAA18693@toad.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:56:26 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "John W. Noerenberg" <jwn2@qualcomm.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 21:56:26 -0800 (PST)
To: Vin McLellan <vin@shore.net>
Subject: Re: Good Bye Cypherpunks!

At 3:07 PM -0500 2/14/97, Vin McLellan wrote:

>        So now we ourselves burn the village in order to save it.
>
>        <nostalgic sigh>
>
>        How American!

Vin, your words are poignant and heartfelt.  To be honest, I share your
feelings (but I can't help but be amused that having recently decided to
resubscribe after a lengthy absence, I returned just in time to wallow into
a sea of discontent -- sorta like walking out the door of the cabin and all
the snow on the roof falling on your head -- you're cold, you're wet, and
you feel pretty damn stupid to boot).

However, the denizens of this place are a resourceful lot.  If
alt.cypherpunks doesn't work out, if the distributed mailing lists don't
work, we'll try something else.  I don't think anyone is ready to give up,
yet.

best,

john noerenberg
jwn2@qualcomm.com
  Ishmael gave himself to the writing of it, and as he did so he
  understood this, too: that accident ruled every corner of the
  universe except the chambers of the human heart.
  -- David Guterson, Snow Falling on Cedars, 1995