1997-02-05 - RE: Fighting the cybercensor

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Steve Schear <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Message Hash: 46d85e380c24b4515ee3fdb09b2ecccd5cb5ff510284dc11503e2d5cd475dabe
Message ID: <199702050510.VAA06865@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:10:50 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 1997 21:10:50 -0800 (PST)
To: Steve Schear <roach_s@alph.swosu.edu>
Subject: RE: Fighting the cybercensor

At 08:15 PM 1/28/97 -0800, Steve Schear wrote:
>>The poor can not hope to match the tyrants bid as they only have 10% of the
>>wealth, the household knows that thier participation in an attempt on the
>>tyrant will get them killed.  Even if the attempt was successful.
>>The people from the outside who would benefit from the bounty benefit more
>>by taking the tyrants offer and then trying again, i.e. tiger teams.
>
>I think a hole in your thinking is to assume that the assasins have no
>motive other than financial gain.  I would submit that there are those that
>have the skills, training and a political agenda coherent with the
>wagerers, lacking only the financial incentive to make the risks
>acceptable.  These wetworkers won't consider accepting the bribe of the
>rich/powerful

In practice, we can't hold out much hope that donations to an AP system from
"rich and powerful" people can be identified as such.  After all, with the
appropriate software I could just as easily make 100, $10 donations as a
single $1000 donation.  Assuming anonymity held, nobody but the donor knows
from where the money came.

However, fortunately I don't think it would make any difference in the
overall effects.    While AP would eliminate the taxation which is commonly
thought of as the main way a "rich person" loses assets, in practice it
would also shut down the well-hidden systems that allow some people to get
rich (or, merely live off somebody else) "unfairly."   Government agents
come to mind, of course.

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread