1997-02-16 - Re: Moderation experiment almost over; “put up or shut up”

Header Data

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 51aeb43db882784d4fcda64a24a733722d7f0813d36eaf0cc77ee2224f88ed57
Message ID: <Pine.LNX.3.95.970216113150.2356I-100000@dhp.com>
Reply To: <33066F12.60CB@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-16 16:36:36 UTC
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 08:36:36 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: aga <aga@dhp.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 08:36:36 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"

On Sat, 15 Feb 1997, Dale Thorn wrote:

> Date: Sat, 15 Feb 1997 18:21:07 -0800
> From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
> To: freedom-knights@jetcafe.org
> Cc: ichudov@algebra.com, dave@kachina.jetcafe.org, cypherpunks@toad.com
> Subject: Re: Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"
>
> Kent Crispin wrote:
> > Dale Thorn allegedly said:
> > > If I understood the last several hundred messages correctly, they have
> > > tried to make the point that the cypherpunks mailing list (unedited)
> > > was more ideal than a newsgroup.  If this is what Dave is offering,
> > > I'm surprised if more people don't jump on it.  Then again, they
> > > took their good ol' time jumping onto cypherpunks-unedited.
>
> > Dave is offering a single mailing list, which, while I am sure Dave is
> > a great person, still represents a single point of control and a
> > single point of failure.  A distributed mailing list has a potential
> > for being much more robust, and for supporting a wide range of
> > viewpoints.  Furthermore a distributed mailing list is an interesting
> > minor technical problem, and a good solution could have wide
> > applicability.
> > So I think that people would like to get the distributed list going...
>
> I hope this doesn't duplicate the earlier message - if someone were
> tracking all this activity and kept the lists informed about what
> was available where - and particularly if the downloading could be
> automatic as in the subscription lists - that would be ideal.
>
> I wanted to spend some time on alt.cypherpunks, but I haven't got
> thru the subscription mail for the last few days yet.  If there's
> a scheme that works better than just ad-hoc looking, I'd sure like
> to know.

You mean there is an alt.cypherpunks mailing list?
That is not on my server.

I have mail.cypherpunks though, and I thought that was
the usenet newsgroup for cypherpunks.

let's see what dejanews says about this one.

How about every posting to alt.underground for the time being,
until we get this matter settled?

Thread