1997-02-11 - Re: Moderation experiment almost over; “put up or shut up”

Header Data

From: Patrick May <pjm@spe.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 6e7d7bf6bb4e39eddc1887f5e48d821eac8e47543bdb3be8f21580fe0c75bfac
Message ID: <199702112210.OAA01556@gulch.spe.com>
Reply To: <199702111340.FAA18603@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-11 22:24:58 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:24:58 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Patrick May <pjm@spe.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 14:24:58 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"

John Gilmore writes:
[ . . . ]
 > Either you list denizens will, among yourselves, put in the energy to
 > build a new home for the list (and run it in whatever way your
 > volunteers want) by Feb 20, or the list will cease to exist on Feb 20.
[ . . . ]

Denizens,

     I can provide a pentium box running Linux with a T1 connection to
MAE-West to host the list, if there is still interest.  The domain
name would be hidden.net (reserved in anticipation of running a
remailer).  I'd use majordomo.

     Before doing this, I'd need the answers to a few questions:

     - Is there still any interest in a cypherpunks mailing list?

     - Is alt.cypherpunks a better alternative?

     - Should posting to the list be limited to subscribers?
       Naturally, one could subscribe from a nym.alias.net account.

     - Majordomo can be configured to require confirmation of
       subscription requests, thus avoiding some attacks.  Is there
       any simple way to protect against mailloops?  Directly
       accessing the listname-outgoing alias?

     - Is a pentium up to the task of running a list of this size and
       volume?

     Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Patrick May