1997-02-14 - Re: [Declan McCullagh: “A List Goes Down In Flames,” from Netly]

Header Data

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7604ca67922a8f3cae82d0714df62940594585acde8b20daf1320e504ac1bd90
Message ID: <Pine.GSO.3.95.970214093244.9500A-100000@well.com>
Reply To: <199702141704.JAA03249@netcom10.netcom.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-14 22:18:44 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:18:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Declan McCullagh <declan@well.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 1997 14:18:44 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: [Declan McCullagh: "A List Goes Down In Flames," from Netly]

Mike sheds more heat than light on the issue. Gilmore does not always
represent the EFF; not every action of his is an EFF action.

As for the "rift," may observers said at the time that DT was a Jerry
Berman "appeasement and capitulation" scheme. Note Berman no longer works
at EFF. Note EFF is no lnoger in DC.

And yes, I've read Tim May's essay on his EFF membership. I probably would
have had the same reaction.

-Declan

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Mike Duvos wrote:

> John Gilmore <gnu@toad.com> writes:
>
> [Fluffy Gilmore apologia by Declan expunged]
>
> Two small points.
>
> 1.  The rift between Gilmore/EFF and Cypherpunks is hardly
>     of recent origin, and dates back to when the EFF first
>     demonstrated to horrified Cypherpunks that its policy
>     would be one of appeasement and capitulation towards
>     clearly unacceptable legislation.  This is all in the
>     archives, including Tim May's essay on why he chose not
>     to renew his EFF membership.
>
> 2.  The article fails to mention Gilmore's new nickname. :)
>
> --
>      Mike Duvos         $    PGP 2.6 Public Key available     $
>      mpd@netcom.com     $    via Finger.                      $

Thread