1997-02-12 - Re: Shade Disk Encryptor for NT Registration key

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: SoftWinter <softwinter@post1.com>
Message Hash: 7e1e97be819d632c4f46e888c74138850c60aa80fa0aa6e547b4d6b3519bb5bd
Message ID: <199702121427.GAA20009@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 06:27:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 06:27:44 -0800 (PST)
To: SoftWinter <softwinter@post1.com>
Subject: Re: Shade Disk Encryptor for NT Registration key

>SoftWinter Support
>softwinter@post1.com
>http://softwinter.bitbucket.co.il

Shade looks like an interesting product,
and anything that fits into 64K these days
(even if that is the size of the zip file) deserves some respect :-)

For cypherpunks - it's using MDC as its crypto algorithm,
with 160-bit SHA as the hash.  I can't tell if that's the original
SHA or the revised SHA-1.  The readme.txt is adapted from Peter
Gutmann's MDC documentation.   The demo version runs for 21 days,
and doesn't do encryption, so perhaps the real thing is a bit larger.
List price is $149 US.

I couldn't get it to run - I'm using NT 3.51, which you haven't tested
it on, rather than NT 4.0; it complained about not being able to find
Image_List_SetImageCnt in COMCTL32.dll or something like that.
Perhaps that's related to not having installation instructions with the demo?
there's a SecDisk.sys that looks like it wants something done with it...
Or perhaps it's just a 3.51 vs. 4.0 difference.  Oh, well...

	> Shade allows you to create encrypted disk device inside a file.
	> Such a device can then be formated using any file system
	> (like NTFS or FAT) and used as a regular disk. The only difference
	> is that Shade will encrypt the data on every write operation
	> and decrypt it on every read operation.

I assume it's possible to use this for TEMP directories for
applications like word processors.  I'm not sure I'd want to use
it for swap, but do you know if that would work?

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread