1997-02-06 - Re: mail-to-news fun

Header Data

From: “Scott V. McGuire” <svmcguir@syr.edu>
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 7fb263f72f2f300c1bfcb471cb14c53d56c98bb4e208566f67fbc1115522c406
Message ID: <199702061921.LAA28330@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:21:19 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Scott V. McGuire" <svmcguir@syr.edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 1997 11:21:19 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: mail-to-news fun

On Wed, 5 Feb 1997 stewarts@ix.netcom.com wrote:
...snip...
> If I were going to restart a remailer, and to offer news posting,
> I'd probably limit it to posting to moderated newsgroups only,
> so a human can trash things that look like SPAM or abuse;
> the abuse that caused me to kill my remailer wasn't something
> a simple filter would catch.  (I'd also prefix each posting with a
> header about this message having been received from an anonymous source,
> not verified, not guaranteed to be worth the electrons it's printed on,
> probably not written by anybody whose name's at the bottom, etc....
> People don't read mail headers or disclaimers at the bottom,
> and putting disclaimers like that into message text for
> email exposes the message to traffic analysis.)

How does putting it in the message expose it to traffic analysis but not
putting it in a header?

...snip...

> #			Thanks;  Bill
> # Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
> # You can get PGP outside the US at ftp.ox.ac.uk/pub/crypto/pgp
> #     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Scott V. McGuire <svmcguir@syr.edu>
PGP key available at http://web.syr.edu/~svmcguir
Key fingerprint = 86 B1 10 3F 4E 48 75 0E  96 9B 1E 52 8B B1 26 05

Thread