1997-02-05 - Re: AltaVista Tunnel

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: Anil Das <das@sgi.com>
Message Hash: 87bd0a662f64973efde1da0aa431785a686de8e725b2d78f9e42591c3294f63c
Message ID: <199702051555.HAA29347@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:55:46 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:55:46 -0800 (PST)
To: Anil Das <das@sgi.com>
Subject: Re: AltaVista Tunnel

Anil Das wrote:
> Rick Osborne wrote:
> > He triumphantly exclaimed that the encryption was 128-bit, but when
> > I said "128-bit what?" he cowered and muttered that he didn't know and went
> > on with his little speech.  The rest of my crypto-specific questions met
> > with equal dark stares.  And these are the people setting industry standards...

> I should be happy that you are bashing a competitor and all, but give
> them a break, OK? The marketing dweeb who has to do product pitches
> on roadshows is not the same as the design engineer who designs the
> system and sets technical standards. There can be a big difference in
> technical knowledge about the product, and even basic competency,
> between the two.

HP in their first 17 years of making personal computers always sent
real engineers along with salespeople to their product rollouts.

Starting in late 1983 with their first MS-DOS computer, they did a
180-degree and eliminated the engineers, and started sending people
who knew nothing about HP products, which is bad in the sense that
some folks wanted to know "Why should I buy HP when I can get the
real thing, i.e. IBM"?  As a sales manager, I always had a hard time
with that one.  I blame HP in retrospect, for a moron mentality in
their marketing department.

Thread