1997-02-28 - Re: DNSSEC Encryption for DNS registration and ITAR Nonsense

Header Data

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
To: Bill Stewart <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: 9530a109a44c5058aa8c5bbe2b43108944b81bd5a593b89cd2f6dd42909b3148
Message ID: <199702280648.WAA23851@mail.pacifier.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:49:41 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:49:41 -0800 (PST)
To: Bill Stewart <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: DNSSEC Encryption for DNS registration and ITAR Nonsense

At 08:30 PM 2/27/97 -0800, Bill Stewart wrote:
>At 10:14 AM 2/12/97 -0500, "Donald E. Eastlake 3rd" <dee@cybercash.com> wrote:

>But then there's the politial correctness part of the web page :-)
>> Trusted Information Systems, Inc. has received approval from the
>> United States Government for export and reexport of TIS/DNSSEC software
>> from the United States of America under the provisions of the Export
>> Administration Regulations (EAR) General Software Note (GSN) license
>> exception for mass market software.  Under the provisions of this license,
>> this software may be exported or reexported to all destinations except
>> for the embargoed countries of Cuba, Iran, Iraq, Libya, North Korea,
>> Sudan and Syria.  Any export or reexport of TIS/DNSSEC software to the
>embargoed
>> countries requires additional, specific licensing approval from the
>> United States Government.
>
>Yup.  Can't let those Cubans secure their DNS.....  At least the government
>did decide to permit export.

When Clipper was a new proposal, a reporter stated that Clipper-equipped
telephones were going to be exportable...to anywhere except
terrorist-supporting countries like Libya and Iraq.  My first reaction was,
if those chips had their keys escrowed within reach of the US government,
WHAT DID IT MATTER that the phones get exported to Libya?!?  In fact, they'd
presumably want to airdrop them there, right?

Jim Bell
jimbell@pacifier.com

Thread