1997-02-11 - Re: Moderation experiment almost over; “put up or shut up”

Header Data

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
To: dthorn@gte.net
Message Hash: 9668ef7ac50f814dabcccca773350b8d2d831eb03e44d12261fc6ae7e1fb74f6
Message ID: <199702111829.MAA17650@manifold.algebra.com>
Reply To: <33008CCE.28E0@gte.net>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-11 18:38:53 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:38:53 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: ichudov@algebra.com (Igor Chudov @ home)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 10:38:53 -0800 (PST)
To: dthorn@gte.net
Subject: Re: Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"

Dale, can you set up a mailing list server that will participate in the
distributed listserv network?

thank you

igor

Dale Thorn wrote:

> John Gilmore wrote:
> > Sandy hit a pothole in the moderation experiment when Mr. Nemesis
> > submitted a posting containing nothing but libelous statements about
> > Sandy's employer.  He never anticipated that he wouldn't be able to
> > follow his announced "post it to one list or the other" policy because
> > to do so would make him legally liable (in his opinion; he's a lawyer,
> > I'm not).  His gears jammed, and the whole machine came to a halt for
> > a few days.
>
> Naturally he hit a pothole.  Censorship has its price, and you
> folks just discovered it.  But censors never give up, do they?
> Especially when there are hidden agendas.
>
> > Sandy has agreed to continue moderation through the end of the
> > original 1-month experiment (through Feb 19).  And it's a good thing,
> > too, because the "cypherpunks community" had better get off its
> > whining butt in the next ten days, or it will no longer exist.
>
> John Gilmore is so disrespectful of the human beings on this list
> that he whines and complains about their "attitudes", as though
> he had a right to control them.  What a jerk.
>
> > I've come to the conclusion that I'm not willing to host the
> > cypherpunks list any more.  It's not the true assholes that brought me
> > to this decision; it's the reaction from the bulk of people on the
> > list: suspicion, flamage, and criticism with every attempt to improve
> > things.  I noticed few people volunteering some of their own time,
> > money, or machines to help out.  Almost all the suggestions were
> > advice for *other* people to implement:
>
> Not willing because of some additional burden?  No.  It's because you
> were outed as a censor and a jerk, and you can't get back the respect
> you previously had.  The sour grapes you're displaying here are worthy
> of a little child, not an adult.
>
> > Now each of these posters will get their chance to do it "right" --
> > on their own time and with their own resources.
>
> Read: I'm gonna take my bat and ball and go home...
>
> > A large fraction of the list seems to think that "freedom of speech"
> > means that everyone is required to listen to everyone else at all
> > times.  That there can't be focused, topical conversations in a
> > society that has freedom of speech.  I would say the opposite; part of
> > freedom of speech is the freedom to choose to whom we speak and to
> > whom we listen.  This is part of what cryptography does: lets us
> > control who can receive our speech, and lets recievers determine who
> > the speaker is.
>
> Everything was fine until you decided to screw it up.  Then your
> emotional, denying little brain trys to blame it on everyone else.
>
> > There also seems to be a misunderstanding that freedom of speech
> > requires that people who want to speak already have a place, set up
> > and maintained by someone else, for them to speak in.
>
> There are places to speak, and people try to speak in those places.
> When they are cut off, then they complain.  Nobody complained before
> [...]

	- Igor.

Thread