1997-02-16 - Re: More on digital postage

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: “Cynthia H. Brown” <cynthb@sonetis.com>
Message Hash: a9e8ef2f1eb648c5f7da6a169a79419b50454f34f7d35baf00c5995678d2132c
Message ID: <199702161511.HAA17755@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 07:11:04 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 07:11:04 -0800 (PST)
To: "Cynthia H. Brown" <cynthb@sonetis.com>
Subject: Re: More on digital postage

At 1:09 AM -0500 2/16/97, Cynthia H. Brown wrote:

>Here in Canada, the CRTC (Canadian Radio & Telecomms Commission) put
>out rules limiting the time of day, etc. for phone spam (voice or
>fax).  Does anyone out there have the specifics of the CRTC regs?

"Spam" has rapidly become one of those overused, overloaded, meaningless
words. Everything bad on the Net these days is labelled "spam."

For the phone example in Canada, just what is "spam"?

-- Is it the semi-traditional definition of "spam," i.e., a phone call made
to thousands of sites? (At the same time? Sequentially? How?)

-- Is it a robo-dialer, with no human at the other end?

-- Or is it merely an "unwanted phone call"?

As I see it, the danger of criminalizing "unwanted phone calls" is obvious.
(Though obviously the courts and prisons are not about to be filled up with
people who committed the heinous crime of making an unrequested phone call.)

The danger of all "junk mail" and "junk phone call" laws is that they give
power to the government to decide on what is junk and what is not.

Not something we should support.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"