1997-02-12 - Re: Moderation experiment almost over; “put up or shut up”

Header Data

From: chefren <chefren@pi.net>
To: John Gilmore <cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: b9a9aded2f1a005c2f935ce68bebf579ffc761996e966dfff5e46663e46607e1
Message ID: <199702121443.GAA20474@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 06:43:08 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: chefren <chefren@pi.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 1997 06:43:08 -0800 (PST)
To: John Gilmore <cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Moderation experiment almost over; "put up or shut up"

On 11 Feb 97 at 3:54, John Gilmore wrote:

> I've come to the conclusion that I'm not willing to host the
> cypherpunks list any more.  It's not the true assholes that brought me
> to this decision; it's the reaction from the bulk of people on the
> list: suspicion, flamage, and criticism with every attempt to improve
> things.  I noticed few people volunteering some of their own time,
> money, or machines to help out.  Almost all the suggestions were
> advice for *other* people to implement:

Hm...

In the year 1513 or 1514 someone who could be an Honourable
Member of this list (if one could be one...) wrote:

> There is nothing more difficult to take in hand, more
> perilous to conduct, or more uncertain in its success,
> than to take the lead in the introduction of a new order
> of things.     <Niccolo Machiavelli, Il Principe>

Please stop at looking too much on how people scream about
your new ideas and continue this list the way you like
it!!!

I think it's Your Machine and we have to respect your
decision to pull the plug, nobody should blame you for
that, but please listen a little to the 1000+ people who
don't scream and are obviously happy with the list and
respected your right to do the "sandy filter experiment".

+++chefren

Thread