1997-02-04 - Re: My Departure, Moderation, and “Ownership of the List”

Header Data

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
To: svmcguir@syr.edu (Scott V. McGuire)
Message Hash: be06d70e406bd8b629d83fefd8531a284a977e34fc2939ff0a2d40b6ff4a717d
Message ID: <199702040636.WAA29734@songbird.com>
Reply To: <199702040126.RAA08926@toad.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-04 05:33:38 UTC
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 21:33:38 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Kent Crispin <kent@songbird.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 21:33:38 -0800 (PST)
To: svmcguir@syr.edu (Scott V. McGuire)
Subject: Re: My Departure, Moderation, and "Ownership of the List"

Scott V. McGuire allegedly said:
[...]
> I didn't change my subscription from the filtered to
> the unfiltered list because I expected this to end in a month and I was
> willing to participate in the experiment.  You can't ask someone to try
> something for a month to see if they like it and call there use of it in
> that month evidence that they like it.

I agree.  But there is more.  As much as anything else, I didn't
change lists because of inertia and laziness.  I suspect that most
people are like me in this regard.  I suspect that if the tactic had
been to require people to subscribe to the moderated list we would
see just the reverse of the current numbers.  In fact, in the
interests of fairness, integrity, and adherence to the scientific
method, I suggest that after this month trial has passed that we
reverse the lists, and see how many change to the moderated list.

[snip]

> Sandy, you said that you thought the list had improved since you began
> moderating.  How could you think otherwise?  When you send an article to
> the flames list its because you think the list would have been worse
> otherwise.  I don't think the moderators opinion should be considered in
> determining if moderation is a good thing.  I think there is a conflict of
> interest there.

Absolutely no doubt that there is a conflict of interest.  In Sandy's shoes
a saint couldn't be objective.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent@songbird.com,kc@llnl.gov		the thief he kindly spoke...

Thread