1997-02-07 - Re: My messages not appearing on either of the lists?

Header Data

From: “Timothy C. May” <tcmay@got.net>
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Message Hash: c5a3675158961556b1332511742b6a3eefec314aa43bd9dedfc9cd193045d26e
Message ID: <v03007808af2096bc821f@[207.167.93.63]>
Reply To: <v03007801af20611fe990@[207.167.93.63]>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-07 08:23:06 UTC
Raw Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 00:23:06 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Timothy C. May" <tcmay@got.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 1997 00:23:06 -0800 (PST)
To: Sandy Sandfort <sandfort@crl.com>
Subject: Re: My messages not appearing on either of the lists?

At 10:57 PM -0800 2/6/97, Sandy Sandfort wrote:

>On Thu, 6 Feb 1997, Timothy C. May wrote:
>
>> My posting seem to be going into Limbo, being sent neither to
>> the Cypherpunks Heaven Sandy administers nor to the flames of
>> the Cypherpunks Hell. At least this is how things now appear.
>
>It doesn't look familiar.  I don't have any idea what happened.
>Can anyone tell me if they saw it on the unedited list?  That's
>where I would have read it.

I reproduced the message in my message earlier tonight. Although there are
no headers to show routing, since I sent it but never received it, I can
assure you it was marked by Eudora as "Sent," and my ISP has reported no
delivery problems of any sort. Thus, based on past experiences with
thousands of such sendings, I surmise with great certainty that my message
was mailed successfully to cypherpunks@toad.com. What happened to if after
that I cannot say, but I suspect something related to the "Moderation"
process, by Ockham's Razor.

There seem to be more "lost" messages than before this "Moderation" thing
began. I literally sent thousands of messages (maybe tens of thousands...)
and cannot recall a "lost" message. Now, it's happened to me a couple of
times that I can recall, and to at least some others, based on recent
messages.

I thought the basic equation was:

UNEDITED = MAIN + FLAMES,  with MAIN and FLAMES being disjoint.

It's looking now more like:

UNEDITED = MAIN + FLAMES +  DROPPED/LOST

Possibly the fault lies in the software Sandy is using to sort the
messages, possibly elsewhere. Whatever, this needs to be fixed immediately,
or the experiment abandoned immediately.

--Tim May

Just say "No" to "Big Brother Inside"