1997-02-02 - Re: Keystroke sniffer question

Header Data

From: “Z.B.” <zachb@netcom.com>
To: Scott <scott-b@ix.netcom.com>
Message Hash: d843c74976376bb9c19a5a1161504fdb91f525fda8121f7ebe1b61b1fdb843a6
Message ID: <199702021825.KAA28058@toad.com>
Raw Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:25:44 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: "Z.B." <zachb@netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Feb 1997 10:25:44 -0800 (PST)
To: Scott <scott-b@ix.netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Keystroke sniffer question

On Sat, 1 Feb 1997, Scott wrote:

> How can you detect if there is a keystroke sniffer on your computer.

All sniffers have to write to disk at some point.  You can detect one by
checking to see how much disk space you have (DIR on MSDOS), typing a few
lines of random characters, and check your disk space again.  If it's
gone down a little, then you probably have one.

> Is there a file name to look for?

Try checking in your TEMP directory...the few ones that I've seen default
to creating an invisible file in that directory.

> Where do people get them?

They either buy them or write them.

Zach Babayco

zachb@netcom.com <-------finger for PGP public key

If you need to know how to set up a mail filter or defend against
emailbombs, send me a message with the words "get helpfile" (without the
" marks) in the SUBJECT: header, *NOT THE BODY OF THE MESSAGE!*  I have
several useful FAQs and documents available.

Thread