1997-02-04 - Re: Govt & cyberspace

Header Data

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
To: “Vladimir Z. Nuri” <vznuri@netcom.com>
Message Hash: dc085c35dbfdab2ab9dcc0cbb7583f0d591cce6de20bfc67dfb04912a835c233
Message ID: <v02140b03af1c360d86d0@[10.0.2.15]>
Raw Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:58:24 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: azur@netcom.com (Steve Schear)
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 1997 17:58:24 -0800 (PST)
To: "Vladimir Z. Nuri" <vznuri@netcom.com>
Subject: Re: Govt & cyberspace

[snip]
>"tech envy"-- what impact is this going to have on our
>government? it's becoming a huge issue. it may be a
>really great opportunity for a populist movement to
>truly reform the government in the process of upgrading
>their computers.

Even better, this is an opportunity to choke off all, or certainly
increased, funding in order to hasten its collapse.

>I suspect that the "groupware" technology
>that is just getting started will have major influence
>in these areas. as private companies find increasingly
>sophisticated ways of managing themselves, the obvious
>question will arise, "why can't we have an efficient govt
>when our private industries are"? the answer is, we
>can!!

Don't improve it, remove it!

>I've written about "electronic democracy" repeatedly. many
>people object to the idea. but when it is phrased in terms
>of groupware, it becomes more palatable. imagine a small
>company humming along with its groupware application that
>allows it to make company-wide decisions using a democratic
>process. moreover, the software is robust and scales well.
>why can't the same principles be scaled up, up, up? I predict
>that they will be in a rather extraordinary revolution.
>
>a new "velvet revolution"? comments anyone?

Democracy is not without its significant shortcomings. If you doubt this
read Tocquevelle.

--Steve

Thread