1997-02-21 - Re: security breached by NaughtyRobot

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: Ellen Iwasaki <eiwasaki@gol.com>
Message Hash: e34209ab6c7f96fa5fa90ba4f60167fdda41502565d089219db312d409ca3bce
Message ID: <199702210626.WAA01272@toad.com>
Raw Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:26:06 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:26:06 -0800 (PST)
To: Ellen Iwasaki <eiwasaki@gol.com>
Subject: Re: security breached by NaughtyRobot

Don't panic.  It's just a hoax.  Lots of other people have received it.
The hoaxer got your address somewhere off the Internet (maybe Usenet,
maybe your web page) and sent you the email.

At 12:40 PM 2/20/97 +0900, Ellen Iwasaki wrote:
>HELP! Can anyone tell me what this message is that I received in my mail
>today? Is it real? Should I do as it suggests? I have used the Internet
>once to purchase some books? Was my credit card number stolen in the
>process? How did this happen and how will it affect me? What should I do?
>PLEASE ADVISE ASAP! Thank you for your help
>Ellen Iwasaki
>Kumamoto, Japan
>
>> From: eiwasaki@gol.com
>> Date: Wed, 19 Feb 97 02:27 CST
>> Apparently-From: eiwasaki@gol.com
>> Apparently-To: eiwasaki@gol.com
>> Subject: security breached by NaughtyRobot
>>
>> This message was sent to you by NaughtyRobot, an Internet spider that
>> crawls into your server through a tiny hole in the World Wide Web.
>>
>> NaughtyRobot exploits a security bug in HTTP and has visited your host
>> system to collect personal, private, and sensitive information.
>>
>> It has captured your Email and physical addresses, as well as your phone
>> and credit card numbers.  To protect yourself against the misuse of this
>> information, do the following:
>>
>>         1. alert your server SysOp,
>>         2. contact your local police,
>>         3. disconnect your telephone, and
>>         4. report your credit cards as lost.
>>
>> Act at once.  Remember: only YOU can prevent DATA fires.
>>
>> This has been a public service announcement from the makers of
>> NaughtyRobot -- CarJacking its way onto the Information SuperHighway.

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread