1997-02-05 - Re: More on Cellular Encryption Docs

Header Data

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Message Hash: e3c9db4cb1502e70f55ab48fed89f099177a32f14557cbfbd0fe261c754880d4
Message ID: <199702051526.HAA28802@toad.com>
Raw Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:26:21 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Bill Stewart <stewarts@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 1997 07:26:21 -0800 (PST)
To: jim bell <jimbell@pacifier.com>
Subject: Re: More on Cellular Encryption Docs

>>>Here's more on the controlled documents for cellular encryption
>>>from TIA/EIA we described in a 26 January post to cpunks:
>>Of course, ITAR as recently modified says it's ok to send this
>>stuff overseas to foreigners, as long as it's on paper.
>>There may be separate restrictions on sending it, or on copying,
>>but they're based on copyright or contractual non-disclosure.
>
>Given that high-density inkjet printers can do 600x600 dpi resolution, it
>should be possible to achieve the equivalent of 100x100 bpi of
>easily-recoverable data on ordinary paper.  That's about 800 kilobits, or
>100 kilobytes.   What does ITAR say about this?

These are text, perhaps with occasional illustrations, so the current
interim export rules say it's ok.

For optically-scannable printed data, the government's announcement says
it reserves (somehow) its right (acquired in unspecified manner :-)
to re-evaluate the exportability at a later time.  I think they
haven't settled on whether they'd be more embarassed by banning it
(which bans export of printed material, risking serious Constitutional
challenges) or by not banning it (having people laugh at them while
exporting source code or even binaries in OCR-A on loose-leaf paper
with page numbers and checksums.)

Of course, by moving crypto off the Munitions List, and allowing
export of printed material, they're also reducing their exposure
to ridicule for not responding to Raph's T-shirt CJ request....
(huh-huh... made you say Unconstitutional ... huh-huh....)

#			Thanks;  Bill
# Bill Stewart, +1-415-442-2215 stewarts@ix.netcom.com
#     (If this is a mailing list, please Cc: me on replies.  Thanks.)

Thread