1997-02-02 - Re: Cyphernomicon by Tim May

Header Data

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
To: blanc <blancw@cnw.com>
Message Hash: e3dc5a35b35e3befe9e9876f11c9254996e6aa2c04272c965bf0915e13a8216c
Message ID: <32F3FC93.7269@gte.net>
Reply To: <01BC1053.485521C0@king1-06.cnw.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-02 02:34:43 UTC
Raw Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 18:34:43 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: Dale Thorn <dthorn@gte.net>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 1997 18:34:43 -0800 (PST)
To: blanc <blancw@cnw.com>
Subject: Re: Cyphernomicon by Tim May

blanc wrote:
> From:   Toto, quoting the Cyphernomicon
> 3.5.1 Contrary to what people sometimes claim, there is no ruling
>        clique of Cypherpunks. Anybody is free to do nearly anything,
>        just not free to commit others to course of action, or claim
>        to speak for the "Cypherpunks" as a group (and this last
>        point is unenforceable except through reputation and social repercussions).

> Toto, I'm surprised at how seriously you take the underlying anarchist
> philosophy of the list; you identify so closely with it, and have responded
> to its moderation as though it really would be "the end of freedom", even
> though you seem to have appeared, or else come out of lurking, only
> recently.   Is this because you value anarchy, or free speech, or the
> existence of the Cypherpunks as a unique group of stray cats [ :>) ]?
> Side note: Since Tim isn't on the list and hasn't been for a month, I've been
> wondering if it had anything to do with the moderation experiment, although
> it is unlike him to have left without either an argument or at least some
> kind of statement about it.

Maybe Tim's Last Words got "lost", eh?  So far, several people have
stated that "it could happen".

Thread