1997-02-11 - Re: Proposal: alt.cypherpunks (unmoderated)

Header Data

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Message Hash: f30e16a19791667569950665307c3afca3792d5929146d2af6218e6bf5cf38b2
Message ID: <2uoy2D14w165w@bwalk.dm.com>
Reply To: <855650862.27942@dejanews.com>
UTC Datetime: 1997-02-11 15:04:40 UTC
Raw Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:04:40 -0800 (PST)

Raw message

From: dlv@bwalk.dm.com (Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM)
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 1997 07:04:40 -0800 (PST)
To: cypherpunks@toad.com
Subject: Re: Proposal: alt.cypherpunks (unmoderated)

gbroiles@netbox.com writes:

> Some people, including myself, believe that the Cypherpunks mailing list
> (cypherpunks@toad.com), running since sometime in 1992, has outgrown the
> mailing list format and should move to Usenet. The advantages once gained
> by running as a mailing list (faster propagation, more personal/intimate
> atmosphere, freedom from Usenet-style flames & spams) are no longer
> present. Questions about the appropriateness of moderation, moderator
> liability for various "bad" kinds of messages, and the potential for
> content control  where there is a single point for distribution have
> become very prominent concerns among list members. It's time to move to
> Usenet.

Greg Broils works for Sameer Parekh's C2Net - as does Sandy Sandfart.
Given Sandy's recent actions, I think any such proposal coming from a
C2Net employee should be viewed with extreme suspicion.

> Hence, this prelude to a newgroup.  Two cypherpunk-related newsgroups now
> exist; mail.cypherpunks and jyu.ohjelmointi.cypherpunks. mail.cypherpunks
> is unsatisfactory to become a destination for Usenet-originated
> cypherpunk traffic because its name implies that it's a gateway from a
> mailing list. This is presently true, but this proposal is intended to
> create a newsgroup which supplements or replaces the current mailing
> list. I've got no clue where "jyu.ohjelmointi.cypherpunks" originates,
> who's in charge of it, or what "jyu.ohjelmointi" is or stands for.
> Judging from the limited selection of messages which seem to reach
> DejaNews and AltaVista from it, it suffers from relatively poor
> propagation.

Greg probably doesn't know where "Finland" is.

---

Dr.Dimitri Vulis KOTM